PODERE COGNO - THE HISTORY OF CASTELLINA IN CHIANTI
Castellina in Chianti
is in the heart of the Chianti Classico hills, between the valleys of
Arbia, Elsa and Pesa.
It is of Etruscan origin - not far from the centre of the town you
can visit the VI Century b.C. tomb, a very interesting archeological
discovery, one of the most important in the area.
Later it became Roman
territory, until the Middle Ages: in the XI Century, it became feud
of the Nobles of Trebbio, and then Florentine military garrison; in the
XII Century, with Radda and Gaiole, it became Chief Town of the Chianti
League. In the following centuries it was upset by raids and plunderes,
and to defend it the Florentines surrounded the village with protective
walls at the beginning of 1400. At this time we date the Rocca - a very high
protective building surmounted by a grand deck – the impressive Via
delle Volte and part of the centre of the town.
In the countryside there
are many 14th and 15th Century farm houses and
also many parrishes and churces: San Martino a Cispiano – romanic single
nave with apsis structure – San Leonino in Conio – with Virgin and
Child by Lorenzo di Bicci – and the ancient parrish of Sant’Agnese,
restored after the partial destruction during the last war.
Fonterutoli village has a long history – one can see a tablet recording the visit of Saxon Emperor Ottone III in 998.