the name itself derives from an ancient measure of capacity, mostly used in oil
and wine trade in the Florentine Reinassance
discovery of ancient boundary stones in the fields and the old path that joins
Campalli zone to Fonterutoli hill, prove without any doubt that Cogno dale was
known and inhabited since the Etruscan age.
Since then, on the rocky spur between the two branches of the Gena stream, human
installations followed each other and in the terrace-fields one can find old
olive trees that were planted in Dante’s and Boccaccio’s period.
During centuries the ancient tower, built to protect the entrance of the valley
on the original track that joined Castello di Fonterutoli to the plan, has been
surrounded by new houses and farms up to the edification of the barn in the
The farm's particular location, in the center of green woods, allowed the
farming of olive, grapes, honey, wheat and cattle. But in the fitfies of last
century a period of carelessness, due to the encreasing urbanization and the
hard frost in 1956, caused the gardens, the fields and even the houses to be
overrun by weeds.
At the end of the sixties an English family bought the farm and took care of the
olive grooves and of the restauration of the most ancient part of the house, the
one around the tower.
Our family has undertaken further restorations in 2002, leaving the atmosphere
of this beautiful place intact, but adding all those comforts which are required
in a modern resort.